You’re probably wondering what size baby clothes do cats wear. It’s a valid question, and one that a lot of people are curious about. We will be discussing all of the information on this topic, and we hope that we’re able to help you out.
What Size Baby Clothes Do Cats Wear?
Cats typically wear newborn to 3-month-old baby clothes. Some cats, especially indoor cats, are quite small and may only need the smallest clothes size. Other cats, especially feral or outdoor cats, may be quite large and need clothes in the larger size range.
Can I use baby clothes for my cat?
Yes, you can use baby clothes for your cat. They will wear clothes in the same size range as a human baby would wear them.
How can I get my cat to wear clothes?
You can’t force your cat to wear clothes, but you may be able to encourage them by slowly making it part of their routine in the following ways:
- Don’t make a big deal out of putting clothes on them. Cats don’t understand negative reinforcement, they learn better from positive feedback.
- Reward your cat when you see them wearing baby clothes by giving them a treat or petting/stroking them for a minute.
- Put clothes on your cat when you know that they’ll be willing to wear them, like when they’re sleeping or eating.
- If your cat swats at their clothes, distract them with a toy or treat while you put the clothing on and take it off quickly. Cats don’t like change and if they become fully aware of what’s happening, they may not cooperate.
- Don’t make your cat wear clothes unless there’s a good reason for it.
- Let your cat decide if they want to wear baby clothes or not, don’t force them into doing it.
But should you make your cat wear clothes?
Well, it is not recommended that you make your cat wear clothes. There are a few reasons that you shouldn’t put clothing on them:
- Cats should be allowed to express their natural body temperature needs. If they’re too hot, it’s uncomfortable and if they’re cold, the same applies.
- Cats use their fur to control their body temperature, and it’s a very natural and necessary element of their body. Removing it is unnatural and unnecessary.
- Female cats in heat can become fertile while wearing clothing, which can lead to an unwanted pregnancy.
- Cats will scratch, bite, and swat at each other if they’re playing or fighting. Clothes take away their ability to use their natural defense mechanisms, and they could get hurt.
- Cats enjoy themselves more when they’re not wearing clothes. They like feeling the air on their fur and skin, and it makes them happy and healthy.
So basically, you shouldn’t make your cat wear clothes unless there’s a very good reason to do so (like protecting your cat from the cold in winter). You also shouldn’t pull them off or interfere with their natural body temperature control.
If you feel that your cat is too hot or too cold, you should get a thermometer and check their temperature instead of just making assumptions about whether they’re overheated or underdressed.
Is it cruel to put clothes on cats?
No, it’s not cruel to put clothes on cats. They’re not capable of feeling embarrassed, so there’s no reason it should be considered cruel.
But as we have discussed above, you should avoid putting clothes on your cat except for rare and very specific circumstances (like protecting them from the cold).
You shouldn’t force your cat to wear clothes, but you should put small baby clothes on their legs if they’re injured. This keeps them clean until they heal, and keeps the surrounding fur clean too.
Why do cats fall over when you put a sweater on them?
Because it’s not natural for them to wear clothes. Clothing restricts their limbs, and they may become unbalanced or lose their ability to properly move around if you make them wear baby clothes.
The sweater also makes them uncomfortable because it traps heat and restricts movement. As a result, they will do their best to avoid wearing clothes when possible.
Clothes tend to scare your cat, as they are strange, restricting, and limit their movement. So it is better to avoid clothing altogether.
So, what size baby clothes do cats wear? The answer is newborn to 3-month-old baby clothes. Some cats, especially indoor cats, are quite small and may only need the smallest clothes size.
However, you should avoid making your cat wear clothes unless you know exactly why they need to (for example, if they’re recovering from an injury).
Most cats will feel more comfortable without clothes since it restricts their movements and makes them uncomfortable. So let your pet be happy and don’t put baby clothes on them!